Thursday, June 14, 2012

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

I have been thinking about sharing my story for quite some time hoping that I can help others. I have had a very non-traditional road of growing up. I have experienced a lot of different things that most people will never experience. I have forged through a rocky trail...and while many of the things I want to write about were really hard, they have all made me a better person and have made me who I am today.

Today I feel like telling you a bit about my youngest years...years that I really cannot remember.

My Mom and Dad welcomed me into the world when she was 27 and he was 38. I am mother's first and only child, my dads sixth and final child. When I was born I lived with my mom, dad, sister Jodi, sister Stephanie, and brother Chuck. On the weekends my brothers Matt and Mark stayed. The house was full with an infant, toddlers, children, and teenagers. I think to myself if I was 27 with six kids that spanned several years...well it's safe to say I don't know how my parents did it. Not only were their six kids my dad was building his own construction business. I wish I could remember us all being together...but that is something I would never experience as my parents divorced when I was one and I grew up with my mom.

It's safe to say I had a non-traditional childhood...well it was the 80s..so now it's not so non-traditional. I lived with my mom and saw my dad on the weekends. My mom and I lived in a trailer. We were on welfare.

Yep. I grew up on welfare. This is really where I hope to inspire people because I believe with my heart of hearts that I would not be where I am today if my mom did not have that assistance. Where am I today? Well...I have a bachelor's degree and a Master's degree. I also have a pretty sweet job and I own my own home. Not bad for a welfare reject, huh?

When I say a grew up with my mom, I mean it. She stayed home with me. She cooked what we could afford. She taught me how to the read, taking me to the library daily. She made sure I was clean. She made sure I shared with other kids. She made sure I did my homework. She made sure I stayed out of trouble and so much more. I am so glad she was there for me. I am so glad she could be there for me. Where would I be if I was another government latchkey kid?

My mom did work...before any of you get your panties in a ruffle. She had to work in order for us to keep our assistance. She worked at one of our area schools as a janitor. When I look back to those years, just her and me, proud of my mom for working at the school, they are my most favorite memories. Even though we were very poor and the government was taking care of us, my mom made sure we never took advantage. That is something that could not be more evident than where I am today. My mom always wanted better for me and she did her best to give me everything she could. There are not many mom's today that are that selfless. She sacrificed a lot and made sure I learned lessons so I could get out of poverty. So that I could be educated. So that I would rise above.

This is my foundation. Being the poor kid. Being the kid that never had birthday parties. The kid that never took a family vacation. The kid that received free school lunch. The kid that washed her clothes in the bathtub. But this kid preserved. And that is what my story is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment