Thursday, June 28, 2012

Creative Cat

When it gets really hot outside I often think of the trailer days. It's going to be a high of 103 today. I cannot tell you how grateful I am to be inside at work in air conditioning and will go home to a delightfully cool house. However I spent my childhood with fans, cold showers, and ice water.

Growing up in a hot trailer made me a night person. At night I could be play and not feel like I was going to die or be blinded from sweat in my eyes. Of course being up at night meant that my mom let me watch late night TV with her.

I will always remember the night we watched Cat's Eye. It was hot, of course. The fan was blowing the curtains with hot air. How hot air can feel good, I don't know, but it did. We had a velvet paisley couch to make matters worse. For more than one reason. Our TV was a 19' black and white, complete with antennas wrapped in foil. Surprisingly, foil really does help picture clarity.

But I digress.

It was a hot summer night. No school in the morning of course. Here I am with my mom watching a tiny, ugly, troll monster climb up a blanket, crawl up this little girls body to steal her breath, and kill her. Thank God for the black cat that saved her life! (Must of also been the night I feel in love with cats). With that really being all I can remember from the movie, that was also the night that I became extremely scared of the dark.

From that moment on I was convinced that tiny, ugly troll monster was going to come into my bedroom, climb up my blanket, and kill me. But I had a plan. Of yes. Tiny, ugly troll monster could not climb and kill me if he couldn't get a hold of my blanket. So I tucked my blankets under me as tight as they would go and I would sleep with the blanket over my heat. That is the only way you are totally safe. When you live in a trailer that is 90 degrees at night...sleeping with a blanket over your head takes dedication. Stupid movie.

Another movie my mom let me watch; which let me take a moment and say my mom did not do anything wrong by letting me watch this stuff; was Child's Play.

Mother of Zeus Chucky is one scary doll. AND not to mention he has red hair which really pissed me off. Just in case you we not aware, not all redheaded children are the devil. For example, I was only Satan's spawn through my fourth year.

So yes, I watched Child's Play and promptly decided to get rid of all my dolls because DUH they were going to come to live when I fell asleep and kill me. I already had my blanket disguise for tiny, ugly troll monster but my dolls were different. They could use a knife or something.

So I put all my dolls in a trash bag. I would totally know if they tried to escape because I would see the holes. Oh yeah. And then I put the trash bag in the mushroom room.

The mushroom room was the bedroom next to mine that somehow got really wet, not to mention mildew, and mushrooms started to grow. I shit you not. Real, normally grows in the forest, mushrooms. Not only was it the mushroom, stinky room, it was also the junk room. Take that evil dolls.

I will have to say, I threw away some really cool dolls I wish I had to this day. Well...I take that back. They could still come alive and kill me.

One thing I will be forever grateful for growing up in a trailer park is my wildly awesome imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment